EMS Auditor/Lead Auditor Training ( ISO 14001:2015 CQI & IRCA ref.17970)
This course is certified by the Chartered Quality Institute (CQI) and International Register of Certificated Auditors (IRCA) and meets the training requirements for initial certification as an IRCA EMS Auditor.
This programme aims to equip participants with the following knowledge and skills:
- Knowledge of the purpose of a EMS, of EMS standards, of a management system audit, of third party certification and the business and societal benefits of improving environmental performance
- Knowledge and skills required to perform first, second and third-party audits of environmental management systems against ISO 14001:2015, i.e.
- Knowledge of the role and responsibilities of an auditor to plan, conduct, report and follow-up an EMS audit in accordance with ISO 19011 and ISO/IEC 17021, as applicable
- Skills to plan, conduct, report and follow-up an audit of an EMS to establish conformity with ISO 14001 and in accordance with ISO 19011 and ISO/IEC 17021 as applicable
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Lead and manage 1st, 2nd or 3rd party audits
- Participate in the planning, preparation, conducting and reporting of audits
- Present their audit findings in a formal and clear manner to the interested parties concerned
- Assess the effectiveness and adequacy of corrective action taken on audit findings
- Handle various difficult situations encountered during audits
- Satisfy the training requirements for initial certification as an IRCA EMS auditor. The certificate of achievement is valid for three years for this purpose.
- Introduction to the course
- Overview of environmental audits and auditing
- Differences between 1st, 2nd and 3rd party audits
- Overview of ISO 14000 series
- Definitions of key terms used
- Fundamental of ISO 14001 EMS
- Benefits of implementing an Environmental Management System
- Auditing the requirements of ISO 14001 standard (This session draws on the participants’ prior knowledge to audit selected requirements of the standard)
- Audit preparation
- Review documented information for an EMS
Evening assignments: Participants work in teams to prepare for the day 4
live or simulated audit exercise
- Auditing environmental aspects process
- Auditing legal compliance
- Roles and competence requirements of EMS auditor
- The audit plan
- Process risk and performance based auditing
- Process based auditing
- The audit checklist
Assignments: Preparing audit plan and audit checklists
- The opening meeting
- Conducting the audit
This session provides invaluable information and guidance on how a process-based audit is carried out. Interviewing and information gathering techniques are explained.
- Reporting and grading findings
- The closing meeting
- Follow up of corrective action and surveillance audit
- The roles and responsibilities of the auditor
- International Registration Scheme for Certificated Auditors (IRCA)
- Exam techniques and debrief on specimen exam paper
Exam techniques and debrief on specimen exam paper
Live or Simulated Auditexercise (subjected to availability of host for live audit, otherwise a simulated audit will be conducted)
- Participants experience conducting an environmental management system audit against ISO 14001:2015 in a
live auditat an actual organization or in a “simulated audit” exercise.
- This session provides invaluable information and guidance on how a process-based audit is carried out. Interviewing and information gathering techniques are explained.
- Review performance of the
live or simulated audit
The tutor facilitates this session whereby feedback is given on the participants’ performance and any learning points to improve their auditing skills
- Course review and summary
- Written closed-book examination (2 hours*)
*Note: additional 30 minute is given if English language is not the participant’s 1st language. The ISO 14001:2015 will be provided as reference.
Certificates of achievement will only be awarded for participants who meet the following criteria:
- Complete/attend all elements of the course
- Pass the continuous assessment (for class activities)
- Pass the written examination